Thursday, March 03, 2005

the deed is done.

i was the first presenter today to present my final project. so i arrived half and hour early at my faculty to get all the necessary configuration for my presentation. the time was 7:56 am. brought along the big bulky pc, printed the slides handouts for the panels. test-run the web system running at localhost for one final time. everything's allright, ok. took one deep breath.

the only people present at that time was the technician. only at 8:15 am, the evaluation panel arrived. i address them properly as i was trying to remember the key-points of my slides. then the coordinator of the day showed a sign that i was good to go. 8:20 am, took a deep breath again, in my head,"here goes nothing and everything".

from slide to slide, i was trying to make the panel and all in the room to understand what my project was about with all the research i've done and the technology used, my literature review, the methodology, my analysis and design, the architecture used to design my project. the programming and all. justifying what i've done the way i've done it. all the technical mumbo jumbo came pouring out of my mouth as to impress them eventhough they probably never heard bout it in their life.

my session continued with the demonstration of my project. as i went, i was interrupted many times as i was presenting the system. c'mon, have some common sense, let me finish and then you can ask questions later. and so i continued, trying to impress them with the algorithms of my programming. as none of them is an avid programmer, no question was ask why i've done it this way or that way.

then it was the Q&A session. some questions from them was expected, prompted all the right answers. some comments were given, some unrelevant questions was asked, some provoking. even so, i was calm and collected, answering them with controlled emotions running through me. "always be humble", i remembered my professor said. "think of it as a platform where you discussed your ideas based on your research. there is no right and wrong. there are approaches to handle tough question. sometimes they would just like to provoke you to see how you will react". and so i tried to put some effort on trying not to be aggresive. asking themselves for opinions on what specific element should be done. but i have to say the peak of my project presention was getting the approval and the thumbs up from the dean of the faculty himself. he even said it out loud.

with that, my session ended. each student was only given 20-30 minutes. but i felt like it was about an hour or more. recollecting all the things i've said, there are some things that i wish i hadn't mention to them. some items that i would like to say differently. but the deed is done, the past is the past. the only thing now is looking forward to finish this semestar with a decent grade.