Tuesday, February 22, 2005

experience me?

"your music sounds like someone la..". and when that happens i feel that i haven't done enough or tried harder in making my sound totally original. how does someone comes out with something totally unheard of? something that people can't even relate to something else. i know that the problem is probably because of influence. music that you hear everyday and music that has come natural to your ears. so the question is - is it ok if you sound like somone else?

for me, that has always been the case. whenever i get this new riff, i play it again, record it with some cheap mic connected to may cheap soundcard. hear it for the first time - not bad. then hear it for the second time - wait a minute.. have my friend come over who happens to be my bandmate and he said, "this sounds totally like...". aiyaa.. there it is again.

the thing is.. i don't want to be just a guitar player. i want to be something else. i don't want to stay at my comfort zone. eventhough i'm happy at my side of the stage but you know when you keep on playing cover songs, you feel that you had enough. there must be something out there for me.

i don't mean it in a sense of being a rockstar if that's what you think. i just want to make something and be proud of it. be satisfied that i finally can do it. perhaps when people hear it, they'll gonna say," hey, this one's totally new". or perhaps they'll just stop and listen to the song till the end. just like clapton did when he heard one of SRV songs. i believe it was 'Pride and Joy'. correct me if wrong ok. but the point is that's the level that i want to achieve. i want to be. to be able to make people appreciate the song.

to date, i haven't wrote any new songs since the beginning of this year due to my busy and demanding schedule. hopefully after all of this is over, i could start writing songs again, play gigs and do whatever i want with my life.